|Tsuru Shima Lighthouse (Matsuyama
city, Ehime prefecture)
Commissioning date : June 15, 1873
The stone material for the light tower is granite brought over by ship from Tokuyama city,
Yamaguchi prefecture and from Kurahashi island, Hiroshima prefecture. The material was
then hauled a distance of 300 meters from the shore to the construction site by laying
planks on the ground and using round logs and pulleys. The designer was R.H. Brunton.
In April of 1867, the Osaka pact for the opening of the Hyogo port (December of the same year) was concluded between the shogunate and the diplomatic representative of England. This lighthouse is one of the 5 lighthouses of that time.
Since Brunton and McVean, who were involved in the construction, did not eat Japanese food, all foodstuff including meat was sent from Kobe via Mitsuhama (Matsuyama city) and then by two rowboats since there were no motor-powered boats at that time. There were episodes that, when the food ran short because of inclement weather, they ate fruits picked on the island until the next vessel arrived.